Usage of Prints from 100 Days of Modern Quilting

Page Content: 

Detail of Jill’s Stamp Collection by Elizabeth Hartman

A fabulous print fabric is often the jumping off point for an even more fabulous quilt. Whether we’re working with one great print, a collection of coordinating prints, or a combination of prints pulled from various places, quilters today have an amazing array of print fabrics at our disposal.   

Detail of Winter Sparkle Punch by Elizabeth Hartman

For the next 7 days, we’ll take a look at 7 quilts that make excellent use of print fabrics.

Welcome to the week of prints!

Featured Quilt 1

The variety of print fabrics in Mary Claire Allen’s Sunrise Sunset quilt is set off by a gorgeous array of coordinating solids.

Here’s what Mary Claire had to say about herself and her quilt:

“I’m a Midwestern sewer/quilter and a member of the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild. I’ve been sewing little bits off and on for probably close to 20 years, but really got serious three or four years ago. Quilting, and especially the Modern movement, captures my interests and predispositions better than any other hobby I’ve tried; I’m hooked!

Almost every scrap of print fabric in this quilt was given to me or swapped after I put out a call for help on Flickr.  I love knowing this quilt was a collaboration of all those kind individuals and very much made in the moment.  In addition to separating the prints by color, I tried to evenly disburse the prints with a higher percentage of white in the hopes that the resulting patchwork pieces would work together as one cohesive patchwork unit.  The subtle shade and pattern differences of the prints definitely create much of the quilts visual interest.  It was really fun to sew and step back every once in a while watching it all come together!”

You can see more of Mary Claire’s work on her blog, Splendorfalls.

Featured Quilt 2

Sarah Brazier used bold print fabrics to bring a new look to a familiar flag.

Here’s what Sarah had to say about her quilt:

“This quilt was inspired after my 2 1/2 year stint in England and I wanted to make something funky for my British pseudo step daughter It took a lot of trial and error and about a year of trying, some errors of which I blogged about it.. many that I didn’t.. when I finally got the right combination  I was over the moon. I just simple adore the flag and the history behind the Union Jack. I’ve got another one already on the way to being made out of softer Moda fabrics.

This quilt which is made with an old symbol of England has been freshly tossed with all sorts of colours the Union Jack has never seen. Up close you can see spiders, pirates and dragonflies (oh my)!! Designed, sewed and quilted by me it was made to make a statement.”

You can read more about Sarah and her pattern at The Aftercraft.

Featured Quilt 3

Sara Soelberg combined monochromatic prints to create the fun and graphic X and O shapes in her Tic Tac Toe quilt.

Here’s what Sara had to say about herself and her quilt:

“This quilt was inspired by a whole lot of ‘X’s floating around in blog land this past winter. Every time I saw one (like Sew Mama Sew’s Urban Hug Pillow), it screamed tic-tac-toe to me. My sweet sister in law was having her third baby (second boy), and I wanted to celebrate his arrival with something fun. To me this quilt is modern, because it has such bright colors, mixed prints, and a bold design. For the quilting I did a simple stipple — my very favorite stitch.

As a quilter, I think I am just past beginner and well into “holy-heck-what-can-I-quilt-next”? I love every part of quilting: cutting, piecing, quilting, and binding, but my very favorite moment is pulling out the crinkly goodness from a warm dryer. I’m pretty sure that’s actually the definition of heaven.”

You can see more of Sara’s work in her Flickr stream.

Featured Quilt 4

A white frame and charcoal negative space highlight the patchwork-pieced print fabrics in Heather Bostic’s Interstate Love Song quilt.

Here’s what Heather had to say about her quilt:

“I wanted to create an edgy/ urban quilt expressing my admiration for my husband.  It only made sense to use Anna Maria Horner’s Innocent Crush fabric line with my masculine chevron design, keeping romance without the frills.  Add to that the fact that my Long Arm quilter, Angela Walters, then quilted into the quilt the lyrics to Stone Temple Pilots Interstate Love Song (our song)… and I think you get perfect image of two young kids falling in love in Portland, OR.

My method (or madness if you prefer) is to always bring a masculine feel to all my designs, regardless of the fabrics being used.  This was no exception.  I pulled mostly cool tones with a pop of warm and then surrounded them in a stark, dark charcoal contrasting color to achieve my overall edgy, but still romantic look to the quilt.”

Heather lives in Portland, Oregon, with her husband and two sons. Read more about her many sewing and quilting projects on her blog (music with link).

Featured Quilt 5

Kelly Miller’s Modern Rubiks quilt, based on a design by Ashley Newcomb, features large and small areas of print fabric. The negative space surrounding the smaller pieces of print fabric keeps the composition from getting too busy.

Here’s what Kelly had to say about herself and her quilt.

“I got my inspiration for this quilt from Film in the Fridge’s blog. The quilting for this quilt was done by Melissa Riche – the President of our guild, and a friend of mine.

I began quilting just a year or so ago. I had been sewing since I was a little girl with my grandmothers but had just made small things like clothing, pillowcases, simple blankets. It wasn’t until I started seeing all the sewing/quilting blogs that I really wanted to learn to quilt. I saw that there was a modern quilt guild that was started in Colorado by the name of Front Range Modern Quilt Guild so I contacted the President, came to the next meeting, and was hooked! I am part of the leadership committee and participate in meetings, swaps, challenges, etc. I can’t get enough of it!”