Created By: 

Published: 

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Types: 

Categories: 

Riley Blake Spring 2018 Fabric Challenge

Congratulations to the winners of this year's Riley Blake Challenge!

There were over 140 amazing submissions to this year's challenge, and here are the winners! Thank you to our amazing sponsors at Riley Blake Designs for another great challenge!

1st Place: Magic Lanterns by Rebecca (Becky) Keizer
Nanaimo MQG
@keizerquilts

"Pattern: (slightly smaller version of) Wedges by Christina Cameli of Fresh Quilting. Size: 37” x 44.5”"

2nd Place: Net Worth by Sarah Lefebvre
South Florida MQG
@sidestitches

"For this quilt I stuck to the Navy and Rose Gold color theme. I added a few other Riley Blake fabrics including Hash Tag on White Small Color Navy, Sparkle Rose Gold Text on White, and the 1/8" Rose Gold Stripe on White. For the backing I used Riley Blake Berkshire Garden - Pears Green. This is the 5th quilt I've made and I knew I wanted to do HSTs and flying geese (which were new to me). I started making blocks, and then decided it needed to be bigger, at which point I started to lay things out in advance to get a picture of the overall design."

3rd Place: Weave by Susan Slusser Clay
Individual MQG Member
@slusclay

"Using the trending colors of rose gold, pale pink and navy, I created an original design using curved piecing. Using fabric placement and quilting, the quit gives the illusion of being woven."

Finalists

Five Pink Dots by Eva Marie Evans
Central Iowa MQG
@bijouxbaby

"Intentionally improv pieced background highlights the appliqued dots. This quilt is part of a series where I am trying to mix modern aesthetics, improv piecing and heritage techniques like hand applique."

Who Stole the Pickles by Julie Doy
Central Iowa MQG
@birdiken

"I modified the block, In a Pickle by Jessie Zeigler, that was used for the Central Iowa Modern Quilt Guild's Quiltcon charity quilt. The quilt was paper pieced and quilted by walking foot. I shadow quilted the same design used for the pieced blocks in negative spaces."

Line Dance by Joelle Lambert
Individual MQG Member
@joellemaud

"Lines created by fabric patterns, fabric strip positioning and quilting dance in a broad area of negative space."

Basics 42 by Penny Ray
Central Iowa MQG
@imatopper

Curves and Kisses by Laura Ward
Austin MQG
@crafttakeover

"Curves and Kisses explores curvy shapes created with bias tape and needle-turn applique. It's amazing to see how fabric changes on the bias, especially with the stripe and crosshatch designs. It has been free motion quilted, along with a few areas big stitch hand quilting that echoes the arches and helps define them. The shape of the quilted wall hanging itself is a nod to the overall theme."

Sealed with a Kiss by Mel Beach
Individual MQG Member
@melbeachquilts

"The energetic background was improv pieced using squares of the Riley Blake challenge prints and coordinating lipstick solid which were then stacked, sliced & shuffled. Navy strips were then inserted to form the letter K because “every kiss begins with K.” The striped binding pays homage to the striped edge found on Air Mail envelopes...hence the quilt title: Sealed With A Kiss (SWAK)."

Courthouse Stacks by Hayley Crawford
Philadelphia MQG 
@haybayles

"I stacked the four Riley Blake fabrics and sliced them, and then rearranged the pieces into four identical blocks. I sliced these in half and lined them up as the courthouse steps, alongside medium navy, and bordered them with white. I hand quilted the entire quilt with straight lines in navy, white and rose gold thread. And then, starting in the center, I crossed the quilted lines in the shape of a swirl, creating kisses - crosses that echo the rose gold crosses in the fabric. I then stretched the quilt over a 18x32 inch wooden frame."