Created By: 

Published: 

Friday, May 12, 2017

Types: 

Riley Blake Creative Rockstar Fabric Challenge, Spring 2017

Congratulations to the winners of this year's Riley Blake Challenge!

There were over 200 amazing submissions to this year's challenge, and here are the winners! Thank you to our amazing sponsors at Riley Blake Designs for another great challenge!

1st Place: Overlay by Cassandra Beaver
Central Ohio MQG, Urbana, Ohio
@cassandra.beaver

"Inspired by the idea that painting over a surface changes its color, but not the underlying texture, ”Overlay" is an exploration of color, juxtaposition of shape, texture, and continuity. The red and white color scheme has appealed to generations of quilters. In this quilt, contemporary red and white prints are used to create a large scale version of the "Flock of Geese" traditional block. This traditional layout is interrupted by aqua circles which bring both unexpected color and shape to the design. Strong diagonal lines lose their sharpness with the introduction of curved lines, but the design continues in a more subtle form through the use of highly textural quilting designs that continue through the circles. The white fabric and areas of the circles which would be white if the pattern were continued throughout are quilted with vertical matchstick lines, while the remaining areas are quilting with organic mixed motif designs. All areas are quilted with matching thread in order to emphasize continuity through texture."

2nd Place: Paparazzi by Doris Brunnette
Central Iowa MQG, Norwalk, Iowa
@madebyabrunnette

"Playing off the 'rockstar' part of the collection name, I designed an original quilt with the idea of the 'stars' or 'twinkles' of light a rockstar sees from the bright stage lights or from the flashes of cameras. 'Stars' in various levels intensity with background shadows receding in the distance. Spirals and the fuller quilting add to the movement of the design."

3rd Place: Wing by Frances Dowell
Triangle Modern Quilt Guild, Durham, North Carolina
@offkilterquilt

"Wing is composed of an s-curve of birds (which in turn are composed of English paper-pieced diamonds and raw-edged triangles and appliqued to the background, which is of course a Riley Blake solid). It's a long, skinny quilt (66"x40") with spiral quilting."

Finalists

Riva Ridge by Betsy Vinegrad
North Jersey MQG member, Short Hills, New Jersey
@betsy.vinegrad

"Riva Ridge is the longest ski trail in Vail. Inspired by the peaks and valleys in the Creative Rock Star prints, I made equilateral triangles 1, 2, 4 and 8 inches high. The variation in size and color reminded me of our winter ski vacations at Vail: blue sky, white snow, red gondolas. The large triangles at the top give the feeling of open space. The smaller triangles in the middle remind me of the more crowded Mid Vail where trails merge. The diagonal quilting lines represent riding up and skiing down. Riva Ridge was machine pieced and machine quilted on a domestic machine."

Convergence by Benedetta Cantoni
Individual MQG member, Mantova, Italy
@dettapatch

"This work is a personal inspiration, machine made and machine quilted."

Thunderstruck by Mel Beach
Individual MQG member, San Jose, California
@mbeach128

"Thunderstruck celebrates iconic rock bands such as AC/DC, Kiss, Slayer, Metallica, Aerosmith and Foo Fighters, which all feature a lightening bolt and/or star in their band's logo/albums.  The Creative Rockstar prints take center stage in the large lightening bolt blocks, which were drafted in EQ7 and foundation pieced using neutral Riley Blake solids in the background.  I rocked out as I stitched an electric zig zag meander and rows of stars into the background."

"For those about to rock...we salute you!" --AC/DC

Wild by Jane Bitz
Inmod MQG, Liberty Lake, Washington
@janequiltsslowly

"I wanted to use some templates that I got in a curved piecing class about 10 years ago. I made lots of blocks and then edited down to the center design. I decided to piece the border blocks because I have been making traditional blocks with all solids an love the texture it creates. The quarter inch matchstick quilting was used for texture too. I used all of the bundle fabrics with Riley Blake solids: Aqua & Persimmon."

Star Mosaic by Amanda Mourenza
Los Angeles MQG, Santa Monica, California
@muchoxoxo

"I created this quilt by drawing an improv mosaic pattern directly onto my batting, and then filling in the spaces with Creative Rockstar fabrics, as well as a few Riley Blake solids. I then quilted the mosaic with dense diagonal lines in a soft grey, and finished it by covering my edges with bias tape that I made with Riley Blake black to give it the look of stained glass."

Suddenly Spring by Jacqueline Skarritt
Individual MQG member, Kalamazoo, Michigan
@jskarritt

"Suddenly Spring takes its color inspirations from the variety of hues emerging from the partially snow covered, dark earth. As spring progressed, I had to keep redefining the color palette! The design was inspired by a magazine photograph. I discovered I love working with Riley Blake fabrics.... their hand is so beautiful and easy to work with."

Walk On, Robot by Natalie VanRandwyk
Emerald Coast MQG, Niceville, Florida
@nurturecreations

"I started with irregular trapezoids and added strips to the sides until it became a unit. I made 13 units of various size with the creative rockstar fabric, looking for variety in color, scale, and value. Then I played with them improvisationally on the design wall. Yellow wasn't a part of my original color scheme, but the design needed a surprise. I placed a yellow strip in the center and wow! The overall design took form and a walking robot emerged."